Phone: 081 653 5788 | Email:

All about the Thai Work Visa / Thai Work Permit

The Thai Work Visa is officially known as the Non-Immigrant B Visa.

The Non-Immigrant B visa allows foreign nationals to live and work in Thailand for a period of time. Tourists are not allowed to work in Thailand. If they want to, they will have to have their visa changed into a Non-Immigrant B Visa. 

In order to receive this Non-Immigrant B Visa, a company, foreign government, or other organization in Thailand must file an application on the behalf of the work visa applicant. It is recommended that the applicant apply from their country of residence, at the Thai embassy or consulate.

The Work Permit is different from the Work Visa. The Work Permit a thin booklet meant to be carried by its owner at all times, that shows a foreign employee’s nature of work, length of employment, employer, and home address.


The applicant will need to prepare the following:

  • Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months.
  • Completed visa application form.
  • Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the  past 6 months.
  • Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).
  • Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour.  To obtain this letter, the applicant’s prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour Tel. 02-2452745, or at the Provincial Employment Office in his or her respective province.  More information is available at 
  • Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour and alien income tax or Por Ngor Dor 91 (only in the case where applicant has previously worked in Thailand). 
  • Corporate documents of hiring company in Thailand such as:
    • business registration and business license
    • list of shareholders
    • company profile
    • details of business operation
    • list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions
    • map indicating location of the company
    • balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year)
    • value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)
    • Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only), or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only).

How to obtain the Thai Work Permit

Once the foreigner has a non-immigrant visa, he may begin to process the work permit. The work permit process would take 7 business days to accomplish. Work permit application is processed in the Ministry of Labor office.

A foreigner is eligible to apply for a work permit as long as he has a non-immigrant visa or a resident visa, has an available employer who will provide documents for work permit, and the occupation he will perform is not prohibited to foreigners.

The applicant has to submit the following documents:

  • 2 inches photo
  • medical certificate
  • original passport
  • letter of employment
  • certificate of degree
  • address in Thailand

The employer has to provide the following:

  • company certificate and objectives
  • list of shareholders
  • application for VAT
  • withholding tax of the company
  • financial statement
  • photocopy of the director’s passport and work permit with signature affixed
  • office map
  • letter of employment stating position and salary of applicant
  • employment agreement

Once granted, the foreigner has to bring the work permit all the time especially at the work place and during working hours. Please note that the foreigner can only perform the job stated in the work permit and on the specific employer.

About Non-Immigrant B Visa

Non-Immigrant B Visa (Employment) Valid for 90 days to enter Thailand from the date of issue. On entry to Thailand it grants a stay of 90 days. You need to apply for the Non Immigrant B visa from a Thai Embassy in your Country of residence. Your prospective employer from Thailand has to sponsor your visa application.

During the initial 90 days of your stay in Thailand, you will have to apply for the work permit. You can apply to extend the initial 90 days period of stay granted on entry within the last 30 days of the 90 days granted on entry for 1 year each and every year at your local Immigration office in Thailand subject to meeting Immigration requirements.

Numerous types of employment visas are available, based on the specific kind of work you’re going to do in Thailand. These include working as an academic, sports coach or teaching.

Other types of non-immigrant visas

Besides the type of visa mentioned above, there are other non-immigrant visas for those who want to work in Thailand. These include:

1. “F” – To perform official duties.

2. “IB” – To invest or perform other activities relating to investment, subject to the provision of the
established laws on investment promotion.

3. “ED” – To study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour, to participate in projects or seminars, to attend a conference or training course, to study as a foreign Buddhist monk. To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries or Government Departments concerned. For internship as part of curricular programme.

4. “D”/”F” – Diplomatic officers to be posted overseas / on official missions

5. “RS” – To conduct scientific research or training or teaching in a research institute.

6. “O” – To visit family or friends in Thailand, voluntary job, retirement, medical treatment, to attend judicial process, to work as diplomat’s housekeeper

7. “O-A” – For applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working.

8. “O-X” – For applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the
intention of working.